The Cognitive Science Program at Indiana University, Bloomington invites upper-level undergraduate students and students who are graduating from college to apply to the Cognitive Science Visiting Undergraduate Program.
The program is designed to give students interested in Cognitive Science an opportunity to design and conduct their own research while working closely with a faculty mentor, at the top Cognitive Science Program in the country, for a full academic year.
Students selected for the program may enroll in up to 17 credits per semester, but will be expected to devote a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester to research. Students will also have the option to enroll in our outstanding undergraduate courses. The Cognitive Science Undergraduate Program stresses skills acquisition, and aims to foster the abilities that make students into scientists.
The program can provide the following important opportunities and
- Improve your chances of being accepted to a top graduate program
- Build your CV with invaluable lab research experience not available at your home institution
- Design your own research projects
- Work closely with a faculty mentor
- Participate in symposia and colloquia with IU’s distinguished and highly accomplished Cognitive Science faculty
- Learn how to prepare and submit research for publication
Students applying to the Visiting Undergraduate Program must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission:
- Have junior or senior class standing (in exceptional cases, fellowships may be awarded to students with sophomore standing, but such applications are not encouraged).
- A minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- A background in computer science, mathematics, neuroscience, philosophy, or psychology, or some combination thereof.
Students who are accepted to the program will receive an out-of-state tuition waiver. Students will be responsible for the cost of in-state tuition and fees (approximately $8,000 for the year) and the cost of room and board.
To apply, students must submit an application form and materials checklist, which can be printed from the following web site:
http://www.cogs.indiana.edu/academic/visit.html , or downloaded by right-clicking the link and choosing the appropriate option in your browser. In addition students must submit a 1-2 page personal statement describing the research they would like to pursue; identifying, if possible, the IU faculty member(s) with whom they would like to do this research; CV; Official Transcript; SAT or GRE scores and three letters of recommendation. IU Cognitive Science affiliated faculty may be found on the Cognitive Science program home page at: http://www.cogs.indiana.edu/index.asp .
Students who are invited to participate will receive an application for admission to Indiana University. The application must be completed and returned to the Office of Admissions. Visiting Undergraduate Research Fellows must be accepted to Indiana University in order to participate in the program. Students accepted to the program will be classified as transfer students for the year that they are in residence at IU.
The above information should be submitted to:
Cognitive Science Program
Eigenmann, Room 817
1910 E. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN. 47406-7512
The application deadline is March 14, 2008. Those who are accepted will be notified by mid-April.